AVH Quality of Care
We are pleased to provide information that helps you, your health care provider, your family and friends compare the quality of care provided in the hospitals that agree to submit data on the quality of certain services they provide for certain conditions. This information not only helps you make good decisions about your health care, but also encourages hospitals to improve the quality of health care they provide.
The HCAHPS (Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems) survey asks discharged patients 27 questions about their recent hospital stay. The survey contains 18 core questions about critical aspects of a patient’s hospital experiences, including:
- communication with nurses and doctors
- the responsiveness of hospital staff
- the cleanliness and quietness of the hospital environment
- pain management
- communication about medicines
- discharge information, overall rating of hospital
- likelihood of recommending the hospital
The survey also includes four items to direct patients to relevant questions, three items to adjust for the mix of patients across hospitals, and two items that support Congressionally-mandated reports.